The photographs and memories of the houseboat dwellers, who lived on the Thames at Leigh, between the two World Wars. When the tide was out their houseboats rested on land owned
by the Salvation Army at Hadleigh Essex.
The story of two entrepreneurs, Henry Absalom and John Jaquest, who saw in the popularity to visit the seaside from the 1800’s, the opportunity to change their lives.
For the Absalom family, it was bathing machines, beer houses and a large floating bath attached to Southend Pier. The Jaquests, had cafes and restaurants close to The famous Kursaal
where they remained serving the tripper good food, from 1901 until the 1940’s.
About Carol Edwards
Carol Edwards has been a freelance writer for many years. As well as writing and publishing seven local history books, has had a number of articles published in various magazines as well as two interviews in the local paper.
All books are available at Waterstones Southend, The Book Inn Leigh Broadway or direct from:
28 Exford Avenue
Westcliff on Sea
Essex SSO OEF Please add £1.30 postage and packing
The history and development of the highway that travels down from The Broadway to the railway line, from the 1800’s -
Fisherman and farm labourers found themselves living next door to Doctors, artists ,Stock Brokers, bank managers, authors and school teachers. There was also at one time a thriving shopping area on the Hill.
Drapers, butchers, newsagents, hairdressers, grocers, an off licence and undertakers!
The Old Town -
For centuries fishermen and their families have lived and worked in Old Leigh, providing life's necessities were others who shared their space on the High Street. From the 1840's onward's there were coal merchants, butchers, grocers, drapers, a blacksmith and even a post office. Alternative employment came from the public houses, the gas works, nearby farms and the railway, which arrived in 1854. With frequent trains from London, more and more visitors came to the town in the summer and this saw an increase in the number of cafe's and restaurants to cater for their needs. Meet some of the families, not connected to fishing, who over the decades have contributed to the history of The High Street Old Leigh.
The Broadway was originally called Leigh Hall Road and when the first upmarket houses appeared in the 1800's, was no more than a dirt track. In 1888 the first shop appeared, leading to the conversion of many of the lower part of the houses to retail outlets. As the developers moved in-
The High Street, Southend-
Built on land owned by Daniel Scratton, the Royal Hotel built in 1792 saw the area surrounding the building go on to become what we know today as The High Street. Sometimes known as Whitegate Road and Broadway. By the Edwardian period names familiar to us began to appear. Brightwells, Ravens, Garons, and Keddies. Public houses were built and with the changing times came the cinema and bus transport. This book tells the story of some of the families who helped create the history of this busy shopping area.
Date: 2016 ISBN: 978-
This book is currently available at Waterstones, Southend
Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff on Sea
Following the construction of the Queens Hotel near Westcliff train station in 1899, the development of Hamlet Court Road was soon urbanised with large impressive Edwardian houses. Many of the residents were commuters to London. It soon became obvious there was a need to provide every day amenities from groceries to ladies and gentlemen’s clothing. Barbers, hairdressers, and in the 1900s names now well known, such as Barclays Bank, Havens, Smerdons, Garons and R A Jones. There were so many less well known names who contributed to the success of the road. Some of the beautiful architecture reminds us of Hamlet Courts wonderful history.
April 2018 -
Available at Waterstones and the Book Inn, Leigh Broadway
2018 Copyright © All rights reserved. Designed by studio164 -
We are a group of local writers who meet regularly to exchange ideas and helpful comments on their writings.